Regenerating Power – Saturn Enters Scorpio

saturnSlow-moving Saturn changes signs today (1:34 pm Pacific), shifting from airy, harmony-seeking Libra to watery, deep-diving Scorpio. This will be Saturn’s first visit to Scorpio since 1985. Those of you who have been on the planet for at least one Saturn cycle might want to review what was happening in your life from 1983-1985 – you’re likely to revisit similar themes over the next two years.

As Saturn moves through each sign, the concerns and issues represented by that sign come into focus, and we’re under pressure to evolve to the next level of maturity. The key growth areas during Saturn in Scorpio are power, sexuality, intimacy and survival, and navigating this heavy, intense, emotionally-charged terrain requires no small amount of courage.

Scorpio rules the Underworld of mystery, magic and regeneration, and teaches that what is hidden is often the most powerful. As I wrote in a previous post: the Scorpio brand of power is not the “will it into being” kind of power — that would be Aries, the other sign ruled by Mars. Scorpio, a Water sign, is the feminine expression of Mars, and her power is the kind that comes through us when we relax our egos and surrender control — whether surrendering to a partner while making love or surrendering to invisible forces while making magic. (Sexuality and Power)

scorpioThe shadow expression of Scorpio is the violation of trust in the form of betrayal, abandonment, abuse, and sexual abuse. We can expect Saturn in Scorpio to stir up these core wounds – not to further torment us, but to help us heal whatever blocks us from accessing and expressing our power. As long as we attempt to keep the betrayed, abused, traumatized, abandoned part of ourselves hidden, she is the one who is actually running the show.

I like to think of Saturn as the clean-up crew, and Saturn in Scorpio wants us to clean out the basement of the subconscious, where these old, unprocessed wounds are festering away, draining our vitality and sabotaging our dreams for the future. We have the choice to either enter into the pain, uncover its source, and open the potential for healing and transformation, or (shadow Saturn in Scorpio) to strengthen the wall of defensiveness and protection around our wounds and cut ourselves off from authentic intimacy with ourselves and others.

Whether or not your Sun sign is Scorpio, and whether or not you even have any planets in Scorpio, the sign Scorpio resides somewhere in your birth chart. Look at the themes of the house (or houses) that contain Scorpio to see where Saturn will call on you to face your fears (especially root chakra survival fears), uncover and heal core wounds, surrender the illusion of control, and reclaim your power.

This entry was posted in astrology and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Regenerating Power – Saturn Enters Scorpio

1. Love. Sharing. As always.

2. Excellent Post! You break everything down so clearly, thank you. Will be experiencing my second Saturn return. I have Saturn in Scorpio in the 10th house, and Mars in Scorpio in the 11th. I am ready to ride this horse.

Thank you, Linda! Sounds like a major power time for you – expressing even more of your transformational healing power out in the world… Happy 2nd Saturn Return! blessings, Emily

3. mizpittypat says:

Emily, thanks again. I’m astrology newbie, and learn a lot when I read your blog post.
    I did have a question. You wrote in a previous post (“Taking Responsibility for Desire”) about Saturn ruling fear and how anger is the emotion ruled by Mars. As Scorpio is also ruled by Mars, I wonder what and how (or if) the fear-anger dyad is going to be in a big play in this period, or if that isn’t a issue with Scorpio (versus Aries).

That’s a great question! I think with Saturn in Scorpio, we’re going to be dealing with anger that’s been repressed and turned into resentment – anger that we’ve been afraid to express. Aries (fire) is more likely to send the anger outward, but Scorpio (water) can tend to seethe and simmer with strong feelings…

• mizpittypat says:

Thank you! And it won’t surprise me if shame, in all of its many guises, will follow closely behind resentment(s).
        My Saturn is in Scorpio (19 degrees). Also, as I said, I’m a newbie, so does Saturn retrograde in Scorpio in my 4th house mean the same thing? Finally, Juno is in Scorpio (12 degrees).
        Surrender, indeed…

4. Katherine says:

Just graduated from the Saturn in sun sign Libra school to Saturn in my 12th house Scorpio and crossing my AC. I guess this is like going for a Phd. after aquiring a Masters.

5. Oh this should be interesting times since I have my Saturn in Scorpio. What it feels like lately is exactly How you describe this weeks
    Forecast, Emily.
    Love
    JL

6. Vanessa says:

Another powerful article Emily! This is the ‘cheat sheet’ I’ll keep to refer to throughout this transit. Thanks for posting. Vanessa http://www.artbynessa.com

Sent from an iPhone.

7. Colin says:

Looking forward to it, there is nothing like taking our power back and clearing away old stuff! Thanks for your continued insight from the astrological perspective, I find it very useful as do many of my clients :)

8. Fen Lander says:

An excellent and timely article, thankyou very-much. In the English media at the moment revelations are all-over the front pages that a now deceased, very-well-known celebrity (Jimmy Saville O.B.E.) has had multiple, credible accusations of child sex abuse and paedophile-ring activity on the premises of the BBC, made-against him. The coincidence of Saturn entering Scorpio as the revelations start to emerge is so in-yer-face it’s breath-taking. Thanks Emily – Fen Lander

9. emily says:

Wow – that’s perfect. Sometimes astrology is amazingly literal… I was thinking about how, the last time Saturn was in Scorpio, there was a lot of awareness surfacing in the mainstream consciousness about child sexual abuse – survivors coming forward and healing movements starting. (Of course, Pluto was also moving into Scorpio then…) Thanks so much for reading my blog and for your comment!

10. Jim says:

Wow! Saturn will soon be transiting retrograde my Pluto in the 8th house (3 times, since it retrogrades and turns direct over it) and which is in opposition to my natal Venus.

Man, getting ready to not feel all that wanted for many months now. Damn :*( Is that how you guys would interpret it? Is this essentially exacerbating the Pluto-Venus opposition?