Hold Your Horses – Mercury Stations Retrograde

Hermes/Mercury Messenger God, taking a pause

Hermes/Mercury Messenger God, pausing to reflect

I know, I know, it’s the Year of the Horse and we’re all supposed to be galloping ahead into our exciting new lives. However. The planets have a different story to tell, one that suggests the Horse might not be entirely ready to get up to speed until this summer.

We’ve just emerged from Venus Retrograde, ideally with more clarity about our bottom-line needs and priorities. Now, Mercury is about to turn Retrograde on Thursday, until February 28, a time to slow down, complete unfinished business, and rethink where you’re headed.

Mercury Retro is always a time when intuition is more powerful than logic, but that’s extra-true for this one. Mercury is in Pisces, closely conjunct Neptune, God/Goddess of the Ocean, modern ruler of the Fish. A Neptunian/Piscean Retrograde Mercury works best when you drop into a level of information beneath the rational mind, trust your feelings, and pay attention to subtle clues from your dreams and fantasies. (This would be a good time to keep a dream journal.)

piscesAlthough Mercury Retro begins in Pisces (3 degrees), the Messenger returns to Aquarius on February 12, where it will remain for the rest of the Retrograde. Aquarius and Pisces are the last two signs of the zodiac, both gifted with seeing the bigger picture and higher perspective.

This Retrograde wants you to re-imagine your dream for the future; reconnect with the psychic, mystical, magical, all-knowing part of yourself; replenish your well of inspiration; and regenerate your faith in humanity. This is a time for dissolving old perceptions and perspectives, freeing your mind from illusions that block you from living your truth, from bringing forth your genius and sharing your gifts with the world.

The basic guidelines for Mercury Retro:  take your time with important communications; don’t be afraid to repeat yourself or ask for clarification; leave extra time getting to appointments; double-check the details; and avoid signing contracts and buying electronics (cars, computers, etc.). If you need to break the Mercury-Retro rules, best to wait until after February 15, the midpoint of the Retrograde cycle.

With some astro-technical know-how, you can get more insight into what this Mercury Retro means for YOU by finding the house or houses in your chart that contain 18 degrees Aquarius to 3 degrees Pisces. The areas of life signified by that house (or houses) are where you’re invited to: revisit the past; restore your faith; reconsider your dreams; get a higher perspective; and reconnect with your radical genius, creativity and individuality. (You can find information about the houses here.)

marsMercury turns Direct (forward) on February 28, and the very next day Mars – planet of action, passion and desire – will turn Retrograde, until May 20. Mars Retrograde is the masculine principle on a vision quest, a time to slow down and turn inward, regenerate your vitality, and reconsider what you really want and what you feel passionate about.

I really like how Caroline Casey describes Retrograde planets, with the image of pulling back an arrow in a bow. It may feel like you’re moving backwards and it might look like nothing’s happening, but you’re actually generating momentum, behind the scenes, for your Horse’s future gallop.

This entry was posted in astrology and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Hold Your Horses – Mercury Stations Retrograde

1. Sandra McCleaf Ellis says:

Caroline Casey is a good friend of Dale OBrien, we all lived in Bethesda at the same time.. thank you again for another informative report…., Sandy Ellis Maryland Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2014 00:53:07 +0000 To: sme922@msn.com

2. Michelle McAfee says:

Awesome post!!! Thank you Emily!! ~Michelle

3. goatwool says:

Love the wicked Pisces image.
    I do recall you mentioning Wooden Horse and that didn’t sound so so thrilling to me.
    Well then let these waves wash back and forth upon my house. I really resonate with your description of Venus in retro mission / guidance and it has been so.
    A slow slow walk on a dark dark forests path sounds welcoming. Intuitively guided.
    Thank you once again for your gifted divine gifts to us Emily

4. MMoreaux says:

So Who’s going to win the Kentucky Derby is all I want to know?? MX

5. Liking,..your interpretation so far, Teiwaz…is definitely …the focus

6. Thanks so much (as always) Emily! You’re my astro-beacon that mercifully pops up just as I notice the light around me is beginning to dim! Let’s just say that I’m feeling Mercury Retrograde today and it’s not that fun, but with your guidance, I think I know now how I am meant to proceed. :)
    <3 Alix

7. cathyastrology says:

Hi Emily,

With my natal Mercury in Pisces, this message was particularly on the spot for me. I have taken on a full time job with a school district (after being in semi-retirement for a number of years) and struggle to take on the linear world at this time. But, it is an opportunity for me and I use my intuitive knowing to bring clarity and to calm my anxious mind.

The sad part of this new opportunity is my dismal lack of time to do my astrology and intuitive work. But, I will return to this in the near future, and meanwhile, I value your “work” and newsletters more than a simple message of gratitude to you.

Thank you!

Cathy

soulpath-astrology.com

Sent from Windows Mail

Good luck with your new job, Cathy – the school district is blessed to have you and your intuitive vision infusing the community. And I’m sorry about your having less time to astrologize. I love your newsletters, you have so much wisdom to share. Thank you for appreciating my posts! Retro blessings, Emily

8. lonerose says:

Shadow period delayed postal mail because of all the snowy weather, had gotten none at all, (not even the various flyers) for a week and a half! Called the post office 3 times to discuss/rectify. Finally began to trickle in on the day it went retro, and now slow catching up.

9. Leigha says:

I want to apply for a new job but struggling to figure out the best ‘time’. I have been feeling a bit uncertain about the post, reading your article confirmed my predisposition to wait it out until the end of this month. I don’t think I can hold off until the end of May before submitting my application. Such confusing times…

10. Very insightful and clarifying.