Liberation of the Goddess – Approaching Sunday’s Full Moon in Virgo

virgoSunday’s Full Moon is in Virgo, the sign that in modern times is seen as an old maid, secretary, librarian, or OCD housecleaner, but to the ancients represented the Goddess. Virgo is the only constellation in the Zodiac that depicts a woman, and she is “Virgin” in the sense that the Goddess, as the Great Mother, created life all on her own, no partner required.

The Virgin archetype evolved to mean sovereign, an independent woman, often referring to priestesses who dedicated their lives to the Goddess. These priestesses were not “virgin” in the modern meaning of chaste or sexually inexperienced. Quite the opposite – these Virgins were the sacredly sexual temple priestesses who initiated adolescent girls and boys of the community through sexual rites.

labrum fixed starAt 26 degrees Virgo, this Full Moon is conjunct the Fixed Star Labrum (Latin for lip), which is on the “lip” of the Cup constellation. Labrum is associated with psychic power and intelligence, and also with the Holy Grail. The Grail legend begins with an image of the land that has become infertile, a wasteland – a clear sign of the lost or suppressed feminine. The stories preserve the “heretical” teachings of the underground, demonized-by-Rome early Christian sects that held that Jesus had a wife or lover, Mary Magdalene, who carried his child (or children).

This Full Moon says: it’s time for the Goddess in each of us to come out, be seen and take the lead. Perfectionism, Virgo’s shadow, is one of the ways we can sabotage and block the creative power of our own inner Goddess. Believing we’re not good enough, knowledgeable or skillful enough, thinking we need to take one more workshop, get another degree or certification. Postponing our sacred work and staying stuck in our smallness. Where are you telling yourself you’re not ready? Where are you holding back your gifts? Where are you playing small, afraid to step into your divinity?

For more insight into what this Full Moon means for YOU, find the house in your birth chart that contains 26 degrees Virgo. The areas of life signified by that house are where this Full Moon is calling you to: heal, embody and express more of your Divine Feminine nature; get a new perspective on and make a shift in your work, health, daily routines and rituals; release perfectionism, criticism and judgment; and take the risk of claiming your sovereignty and sharing your gifts.

virgo full moonCalling all priestesses! Grab your broom and get witchy with your priestess sisters in the virtual galactic temple – this Friday. Energy-healing genius Katie Todd and I will be working with these powerful Full Moon energies in our fun and informative galactivation teleclass. All women are welcome, and you just need a phone to participate. Details here.

This entry was posted in astrology and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

41 Responses to Liberation of the Goddess – Approaching Sunday’s Full Moon in Virgo

1. Regina says:

I so needed this message today. I’ve been feeling stuck in my small-ness, but I didn’t know what it was I was feeling. Thank you for reminding me of my innate power.

2. collectivus says:

I think its pretty interesting and strange I had a dream last night where I can remember talking to a group of people explaining to them the returning of the divine feminine. Then today a friend of mine saw a post i made on facebook re said dream and she said it reminded her that she too dreamt of me speaking to a circle of women and i was with another woman who she said was my friend. Reading this makes me feel it is all connected. Thank you!

3. katefeathers says:

North node in Virgo 10th house. And this resonated with me:

“Embodiments of the Goddess, they used sexual energy to heal (including healing men returning from war), and to regenerate the life force to ensure that the land would be fertile and crops would be abundant. With the onset of patriarchy and the destruction of all things Goddess, it’s no wonder Virgo had to hide Herself as the frumpy, unassuming, sexually repressed housekeeper/librarian/secretary – She had to go underground.”

4. Roger says:

Please change “OCD” to obsessive compulsive. OCD is not an adjective and when used as so can be really offensive to those suffering from the debilitating anxiety disorder (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder).

Warmth, light, and limitless love,
    Taurus with a loved one coping with the disorder

hi Roger – I did not mean to offend, I wasn’t aware that OCD had an offensive connotation. Thank you for pointing that out. take good care, Emily

5. laurabruno says:

Reblogged this on Laura Bruno's Blog and commented:
    With the approaching Full Moon in Virgo this Sunday, we’ve got a new post from virgo magic.: “This Full Moon says: it’s time for the Goddess in each of us to come out, be seen and take the lead. ” I love the emphasis on sovereignty and healing the land, as this theme runs throughout Ancient Wisdom, Faery tradition, and my own imagination and intentions. Blessed be, and be the blessing …

6. Michelangelo says:

I AM Wondering …..if the Goddess Sacred Priestess energy is to heal and impower ,instruct both female and male .Why would you only invite females ?We all are in need of the Divine Goddess Healing Energy….

I think you’re referring to my Full Moon Galactivations, which are for women only? I completely agree that men are in need of opening to and working with the divine feminine just as much as women are. However, because women and men have been conditioned differently by the patriarchy, the work of de-conditioning can be a different process for each gender, and I think there’s great value in women coming together as a group to heal ourselves. There are MANY avenues for supporting the return of the divine feminine, and at this time, MY work is with groups of women. I invite you to either find a group for men or that’s open to men (there are plenty out there), or to start your own.

7. alexandrahopeflood says:

Fabulous, Emily! Thank you! ox Alix

8. Kimberly says:

How can I find out what house Virgo is in in my chart?

9. hocuspocus13 says:

Sunday March 16th the Full Moon is in Libra…the Moon enters Virgo on March 14th @ 10:17am…the Moon becomes Full on March 16th @ 1:08pm at the same time the Moon goes into Void- of-Course which means the Moon is traveling to another Astrological Sign but has not arrived yet…the Full Moon of March 16th energy Libra at 8:46pm…that could be why others cannot chart it

The Moon can only be “full” in the sign opposite where the Sun is (the full moon is, by definition, the precise opposition between the Sun and Moon). The Sun is in Pisces, and at 10:08 am Pacific time on Sunday, the Moon is at 26 degrees Virgo, precisely opposing the Sun at 26 degrees Pisces.

• hocuspocus13 says:

the key words here are Pacific Time, your post was a delight to read but what caused confusion for me is that you didn’t state in your post Pacific Time

here on the East Coast the Full Moon enters Libra

jinxx

• Sadiyya says:

Hi there. I’m not sure I understand what you’re saying. If the moon was full at 1:08 pm (I’m on the East Coast too), that is the exactly the same as 10:08 am on the West Coast, and the moon was in Virgo, not Libra because it hadn’t made it there yet. So how was the full moon energy translated as Libran? I really am asking for information, not to be oppositional because I don’t know. Thanks!

• hocuspocus13 says:

the moon started out in virgo on March 16

the moon became full at 1:08pm on March 16 at that same time 1:08pm the moon went into void of course meaning it started to travel out of Virgo

at the time of void of course the moon is not in any zodiac sign, it’s traveling

the moon, which was full when it started to travel out of Virgo, entered it’s destination at 8:46pm on March 16 and at that time the Full Moon entered Libra

Eastern Time

• Sadiyya says:

Ah! So would an analogy be if someone was born say in Tennessee and was soon thereafter moved to California, their experience would be one of a West Coast nature and not Southern?

• hocuspocus13 says:

where you live

the time zone your in

gives you the time the moon travels in your area and what time the moon exits and enters zodiac signs

just as the sun rises and sets at different times according to where you live

10. fawnhinton says:

My 8th house is 15°Vi13′

This is the only Virgo I have anywhere in my chart.

So is the 8th house still where the moon is calling me to heal?

11. fawnhinton says:

I have 15°Vi13′ in the 8th house. This is the only time Virgo shows up in my chart.
    So is the 8th house where the moon is calling me?

12. hocuspocus13 says:

EASTERN TIME the Full Moon enters Libra @ 8:46pm and for those who choose to Spell Cast @ Midnight on that evening the exact Astrological Sign the Full Moon is in has to be correct for the Craft Work to succeed…in different parts of the world the Moon enters and exists at different times…I reblogged this…you wrote it beautifully then I went out to walk my dog when the night air hit me and I didn’t recall our Eastern Standard Time Full Moon in Virgo…and it’s not it’s in Libra for us here on the East Coast of USA

hi again – It seems you might just have a different idea of what defines the Full Moon, which is fine. According to the astrological tradition, the Moon can only be technically full in the sign opposite the Sun, so this Full Moon is in Virgo (since the Sun is in Pisces) in every time zone, while the Libra Full Moon can only happen when the Sun is in Aries. This is true whether or not the Moon changes signs soon after the exact opposition – the energies that are amplified are still that of the sign the Moon was in when it opposed the Sun. But, if you’re working with a different tradition, that’s great!

• hocuspocus13 says:

different methods bring different results

we practice with the astrological sign the moon enters into or is in

for what that astrological sign represents

otherwise the results we want will not happen

when the moon is in void-of-course we do not practice because the moon is not in any sign but traveling into another sign

which is what will be happening on march 16 between 1:08pm till 8:46pm

things can and will go hay wire…because the moon is not physically in any astrological sign it is in transit

we observe the moon and full moon in it’s astrological sign trying to bring forth virgo characteristics in a moon in libra will not bring results

the moon will have physically left virgo and therefore nothing to draw from we draw from the physical which will be libra on the east coast

jinxx

• Nette says:

Okay, this is great, I learned a few things. I got a little lost, but I think this is what I was supposed to glean:

jinxx, you use the midnight hour and since midnight EST will be after VOC and in fact after the entry into the succeeding sign – the results you would like are therefore naught.

This must happen to anyone on the earth outside of a two hour window slice of the globe (appx at Greenwich Mean +6, right?). Ergo, this month’s full moon is a bust for 22 hours of the planet – or even 23, I haven’t really crunched the numbers. This time – next time we may all get lucky, or only half of us – I will consult the calendars later :)

I hadn’t thought of it that way since apex of the full moon is at the same time everywhere on the planet. This Sunday at 10:08 PST, 1:08 EST, 5:08 GMT, etc.

So for me I just try to use the energies of entire 24 hours surrounding peak time. But the next time I can try a meditation at midnight I will give it a try.

• hocuspocus13 says:

we don’t practice during VOC (void of course) because the moon is not in an astrological sign, the moon is traveling, it just left the sign it was in and it’s traveling into another but has not arrived yet

we practice, Craft Work, and remember all do not have the same methods and belief system, when the moon, whether it’s full or not, during full moon the practice is stronger, to draw upon the characteristics of the astrological sign the moon is physically in

that’s one reason why when you want to do a spell etc you may have to wait till the moon enters the astrological sign you need to get the desired results

I believe some of the posts I read had to do with astrology, similar if not exactly, to a daily horoscope, and for myself I am not and do not practice that but have asked those I know who do and it will be balanced out with all that lurks in the Heavens, like combining the location of the sun, moon, stars, plants…to inform you what to expect in the days to come

craft work is quite another subject

if you would like to keep in tuned to the location of the moon in reference to craft work I post it weekly just tag, void of course

enjoy your midnight full moon in libra

and don’t hesitate getting a book or researching the characteristics of each astrological sign

jinxx

13. Ann says:

I can tell you that this librarian is ready to come out of hiding.

14. Nette says:

I am curious about my chart and this full moon. Natal Saturn at 26.55 Rx in the third house. Your thoughts? Many thanks and much ALOHA!

15. essenceh says:

Is the full moon particular potent if you have Virgo as your rising sign? Thanks for the post!

16. goatwool says:

a small note about the broom illustration, that broom #544 5+4+4 = 13 the number associated to goddess.
    i also thought of feminine “in and in” as the internal space of the holy grail and perhaps masculine “mask the in” as the container.
    i thought of the intense light of the moon filling the cup and expanding infinitely therefore hiding the cup itself.
    thank you for boosting my visual metaphors with that all and the entire post too !!!

17. Cathrine Anne Rigali says:

My mother had our astrological charts done ages ago. I can’t find mine. Where can I get one, how can I find Virgo 26, and preferably for free. I’m poor, money wise, but not spiritually.